Where we came from
A short history of Worcester Baptist Church
Worcester Baptist Church is one of the oldest Baptist Churches in the area. It was founded in 1658 during the rule of Oliver Cromwell when 18 men and 21 women came together and appointed a pastor to lead them. When state control over religion was re-established after Charles II came to the throne, the Baptists suffered persecution, but weathered the storms and knew more peaceful times in the 18th Century when they built a meeting house in Silver Street (now the Elim Church in Lowesmoor).
Growing numbers, and the generosity of a benefactor, enabled the congregation to move to a new site on Sansome Walk in 1864, next to an Arboretum and Pleasure Gardens. The arboretum was soon sold for housing, and the new church became the centre of a thriving community. Throughout the late 19th century the members had a strong desire to share their faith with other parts of the city and beyond. Chapels were established at Kempsey, Rainbow Hill, Red Hill and Fernhill Heath.
A new phase of the church’s life began in 2010, when we entered a partnership with St. Peter’s Baptist Church (formerly Red Hill Baptist). A team of people came from St. Peter’s to help us in the task of sharing God’s love with the Arboretum and the City Centre.